Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Kinder Words

Ever have a case of word vomit? Perhaps, verbal diarrhea? It can strike even the nicest of people (I'm guessing, I don't know.). With a toddler who has an extensive vocabulary running around, I have to be careful of what I say. Can't say things I don't want repeated... simple as "Stupid" or "Oh Crap!". I don't like hearing it from his mouth, so I *try* to avoid saying it. However, there is a whole other level of things I don't want to hear come from his mouth. Like, my bad attitude .... and apparently, I'm not overly kind with my words on a daily basis.
Let's face it... husbands can be real annoying. :) Don't get me wrong, I love the man. But sometimes he likes to push my buttons and make me mad (because I suppose its funny?) and I find myself saying things like, "You know, I don't like you very much right now". Well, guess who is now telling people that he doesn't like them whenever he gets frustrated with someone? Yeah... the toddler. Then I had to explain to him its not nice to say things like that just because he didn't get his way... and I was the genius that inadvertently taught him it in the first place. He needs to see me being respectful towards my husband (and anybody else) so that he can learn how to do the same.
There are things my child is going to pick up, habits, mannerism, etc... but some of them I need to take responsibility for and adjust my way of doing/saying things. There are plenty of verses in the Bible that speak  about the damage the tongue can do. I think I am going to read up on them and ask God to help me to learn to speak kinder words.

Ephesians 4:32 - And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.


Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment