Sunday, November 3, 2013

No Shampoo for Me, thanks!

Starting earlier this year, I started being mindful of sulfates and parabens in shampoo. My scalp was oh, so angry with my current shampoo selections (Dove and Garnier) ... And my curls were lackluster and frizzy. I had heard of the no poo method before but wasn't ready to take that plunge so I bought some sulfate and paraben free "shampoo" and conditioner that happened to be on clearance. I loved it but I did feel like I has some build up so I used a tip I learned from a Brunette Duet and used baking soda to clarify my hair once a week or so.
Then I began thinking, if I'm going to mix this stuff up every week, I might as well try the " no poo method". So I read a blog, watched a video and then found some old bottles to use.
It took a little while to realize that I don't need to use so much baking soda and that twice a week washes worked best for my scalp.
As of right now, I use 1 tablespoon of baking soda to 1 cup of filtered water plus a drop or two of tea tree oil.  I have also recently added a cleansing conditioner that I found at walmart...a no sulfate/paraben product. I had been just using coconut oil to help moisturize  my hair, but still felt that I needed something else. To me, this stuff seems like it would a dupe for WEN. I really like it, it moisturizes and smooths my hair. The smell is a bit manly, but its grown on me and now I love it.

Today, I finally got my hair cut and I am super happy with how it turned out. First off, I like the girl who cut my hair... This doesn't always happen. Secondly, it was a student salon AND it was half off day. I got an amazing hair cut for $6. You can't beat that with a beatin stick. :) I am interested in seeing how it looks air dried and curled. For now, i'm feeling skinny with this straight hair.

I am super excited to see what's coming in the Violet VoxBox! I hope to do a video unboxing and then blog post reviews on all the products. :)

Ciao for now,
Nelle

No comments:

Post a Comment